Skip to main content

Featured Post

A Farewell to The Owl House

[SPOILER FREE] The last episode of The Owl House was released last April 8, 2023, and this article is dedicated as a means of sending my appreciation to the show, especially, how much it means to me.  The Owl House first aired on January 10, 2020, which was just a couple of months away from the infamous March 2020. At that time, I was in my freshman year in college, adjusting and familiarizing a new environment–a new realm. Like Luz, I also felt like I was out of place since I didn’t really know what to do yet at that time, which is–I know, weird for a then 18-year-old freshman, but it was the truth. I passed college applications and took entrance exams just because that was what needed to be done. The course I took, I chose just because I wanted to get away from numbers as much as I could and because of an old childhood dream. At 18, there wasn’t a golden path that I wanted to take, but every decision I made, I made because I needed to.  The inevitable March came and I hate to admit i

Like what you see?

Why do I ride my bike at night?

Have you ever felt that feeling when you are in complete control of yourself? Your movement, your actions, your whole being? With life, that is impossible, but with biking that is exactly how I feel.

The complete control of your movement, speed and direction. 

You wouldn’t need to worry about accelerating that is pass what you can control, like with cars or motorbikes. 

You have the absolute freedom that sometimes, life doesn’t give you. 


Before, I used to cycle during the mornings, when the sun is still not shining, the sky is transitioning from dark purple to sky blue. When the whole village is still asleep or others, having their breakfast. But just last month in November, I started cycling after the sun sets. About 6:00 in the early evening. 


Why? At first, my initial reason was to stare at the Christmas lights displayed on different houses as I circle our village. And no, not because there’s some benefits with cycling at night, I mean, aside from having less traffic. (In fact, it could be dangerous if you don’t have any lights on or reflective gear with you that can make the car drivers see you in the dark) When it comes to health benefits on the other hand, morning is and will always be recommended by doctors –However, after my frequent nightly adventures cycling and circling the whole village, my list of reasons grew and grew. 


Unlike the morning where roosters crow, where most of the people are asleep and everything is almost completely still and quiet, at night –although one would love the serenity of early mornings, me included –there is just something great with the night in which you would feel as if the place is more alive than it was during the day, where everyone is out and about. I like how street-food stalls are packed with their patronizers, smoke coming out from grilling the barbecues, betamax, and chicken feet, enveloping the road like a temporary smog. Lights from the night markets and night food resto bars shining brightly, not to mention their Christmas playlist blaring on the speaker, fading as you pass by. And each of the households showcasing personality by their unique Parols and Christmas decors. 


Although the day is ending, with the opening of the lights at night, it feels like another is just starting.                                                                               


Despite the fact that some establishments are open, I find solitude and calmness with deserted public places as well. Just this evening, I went past a pavilion that is typically packed with kids in the morning, playing hide and seek or taking turns to sit on the swings. But at night, cats meowing, chilling and sleeping are the ones that occupy it. There are no lights or anything, but it felt strange that seeing the place deserted at night brought a smile on my face, it was as if just like people, it needed to take a break too.   


My last and most important reason is that, cycling pass these houses at nights, hearing those utensils clanking as it touch the plates ready to call the kids to eat, the ‘ting’ of the ovens at times, blaring news on the TV, and overhearing arguments and conversations, makes me feel like a nosy person, Yes. but aside from that, it feels warm, having little glimpse of life, different and unique ways of living, families' after dinner practices, grandfather's night coffee on the porch, or political debates on the living room. Glimpse of problems, life paths and stories different from you, through the small frame of the windows, by every push of the pedal it flashes one after another.


It made me feel small. In a way that rather than being so focused on myself, I had a split second of realizations of the existence of different lives. It was like passing by a crowded street, but instead of faceless strangers I see people with faces, and a whole 'nother world (metaphorically speaking) that I know and cared for. It made me feel like I was vacuumed out of my body, out of focusing merely on myself and my life. To also look out to the vastness, look at the people, people with different stories, and experiences. To look beyond myself and my problems. 


I went home as always, to my family, to the lifestyle that I have been accustomed to ever since I was a child, but every night after my short bike rides, I come home with little pieces of humanity in me.


That’s all thank you for reading!!!


Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts