Featured Post

Like what you see?

A Farewell to The Owl House

[SPOILER FREE]


The last episode of The Owl House was released last April 8, 2023, and this article is dedicated as a means of sending my appreciation to the show, especially, how much it means to me. 


The Owl House first aired on January 10, 2020, which was just a couple of months away from the infamous March 2020. At that time, I was in my freshman year in college, adjusting and familiarizing a new environment–a new realm. Like Luz, I also felt like I was out of place since I didn’t really know what to do yet at that time, which is–I know, weird for a then 18-year-old freshman, but it was the truth.


I passed college applications and took entrance exams just because that was what needed to be done. The course I took, I chose just because I wanted to get away from numbers as much as I could and because of an old childhood dream. At 18, there wasn’t a golden path that I wanted to take, but every decision I made, I made because I needed to. 


The inevitable March came and I hate to admit it but, it didn’t feel like anything at first, In fact, I think I entered a door in another realm, like Luz in the Demon Realm, like her, it was supposed to be a hellish experience but like Luz, I enjoyed weirdly, I enjoyed it.


The quarantine was an escape to the world where I was basically just floating in, going wherever the wind blew me to. During those months, I read, I watched, I wrote, and did a lot of things that I have always wanted to try. In those months too, I had Luz, Eda, King, and the gang with me. I became very similar to Luz when it comes to exploring and enjoying her new environment, in my case, the new normal. 


As the day went by, however, I felt really guilty. One, I felt guilty that I treated the pandemic like an escape rather than what it is: a global crisis. A lot of people were dying, scarcity was prevalent and my father was miles away--out of our reach, out of our care. And yet here I am soul searching in the comforts of my duvet. Two, guilty that I felt like I was using the lockdown as a time halt. When in fact it’s not, the time, though an illusion, never stops. I grow, and so do the people around me, thus, I needed to leave, I needed to go back, and I needed to start moving. As I tried getting on track with my life, I learned a lot about myself, my style, my interests, etc. I learned a lot about my surroundings too and the person that buds from those times is the version that I wanted the most. With Luz, her time in the Boiling Isles was the time when she felt belonged, heard, and herself; Liking spiders and snakes are not considered peculiar and weird anymore. 


When I read the news that The Owl House was canceled–or was cut short for its season 3, I felt infuriated and sad at the same time. Just like what older ones in my country used to say, Heaven takes away all the good things–well, it mostly deals with how God takes the souls of the good ones and leaves bad ones a little later in this titan-forsaken place, but it’s the same thought.


For once, I had a show I connected with, a Bisexual representation that is decently executed in the media–to narrow it down, in a cartoon series–even more specifically, in a Disney channel cartoon series--history right there. 


But now, I just finished season 3, the last season of The Owl House. Now a 21-year-old senior, completely adjusted, without the chin on my collarbone anymore, but still, a leaf in the wind. I learned a lot about myself through my experience in the past years and just like Luz, I decided that I wouldn’t be exhausting myself into finding a golden path when every road is a walkable path as long as I can walk. 


The Owl House has been a meaningful part of my college years and my years under the pandemic. We were locked inside the house but my heart was at the boiling isles. And even if I am an adult, through the adventures that Luz had been to, I related with and this made me feel less alone in my own journey. 



Final Thoughts:


I really am going to miss this show. A part of me still is in denial that it’s finished. I still feel like in a couple of months I’ll anticipate another poster release from the creator, Dana Terrace’s Twitter account. But I know there won’t be any of that anymore, and it sucks.

Disney is Disney. Nevertheless, I am glad it exists and I existed along with it. I am also glad that younger audiences that are part of the LGBTQ+ community like me would have this awesome representation in their youth cause Titan knows we didn’t have those in my teenage years when I needed it. I will honestly miss Luz, Eda, King, Amity, Willow, Gus, Hunter, and the rest of the gang that bid their goodbyes to me at the end of season three. That is all, this show is forever in my heart.


Weirdos forever!

***

Thank you for reading!



Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts