Skip to main content

Featured Post

A Farewell to The Owl House

[SPOILER FREE] The last episode of The Owl House was released last April 8, 2023, and this article is dedicated as a means of sending my appreciation to the show, especially, how much it means to me.  The Owl House first aired on January 10, 2020, which was just a couple of months away from the infamous March 2020. At that time, I was in my freshman year in college, adjusting and familiarizing a new environment–a new realm. Like Luz, I also felt like I was out of place since I didn’t really know what to do yet at that time, which is–I know, weird for a then 18-year-old freshman, but it was the truth. I passed college applications and took entrance exams just because that was what needed to be done. The course I took, I chose just because I wanted to get away from numbers as much as I could and because of an old childhood dream. At 18, there wasn’t a golden path that I wanted to take, but every decision I made, I made because I needed to.  The inevitable March came and I hate to admit i

Like what you see?

Phoebe Buffay characteristics that are a must-have for Young Adults



Phoebe Buffay is my absolute favorite character from friends and here are some of my favorite characteristics of hers that I adapt and to fight the toxicity of my Young Adulthood generation.




Being a young adult, with college, and jobs, can be exhausting and would often just suck the remaining energy out of you till you reach that end of the semester or worse/lucky, till you reach the weekend -that, if you don’t have a schedule for the weekends. Sometimes when I truly need some serotonin boost just to keep myself sane after or before clearing my backlogs, I resort to watching my favorite show, FRIENDS.

While all of them are equally inspiring and each has different characteristics that a lot can learn from, Phoebe Buffay just slowly makes sense to me as a young adult and as a college student who is always surrounded by college stress, toxicity and drama. Phoebe Buffay’s personality slowly becomes more admirable for me than I used to think of her when I was a teen, her personality and characteristics just seems like a must-adapt in this world of the tertiary level and the dark world of adulting.



So I share with you, the 5 characteristics that Phoebe Buffay has that a young adult should have.


  • Carefree

Phoebe goes in front of the stage and sings her hearts out, runs as how she likes to run, and rides her pink bike with training wheels, ringing her bells in the park full crowds without anyone’s thought in mind. When you step foot to adulthood, expect people to see you as a competition as it is a very competitive environment, expect everyone to scrutinize your actions and judge your movements. And it’s going to be hard not to let it get through you, however, Phoebe’s “So? Why do you care?” when she was confronted by her ‘weird running’ by Rachel, keeps me on track.


We can’t really control people’s opinions of us, but we can identify which we would pass from one ear to the brain or from one ear then exit to the other. Learn how to nitpick which of these judgements and opinions would actually serve importance to you and shoo the others worth nothing.


Ask yourself “why would I care?” then if you sorted it all out, you won’t lose yourself through the sea of opinions and you will be more carefree.





  • Transparency


They always say that children speak their mind, however as we grow old we tend to limit what we say and formulate it first in our mind before saying it. Phoebe Buffay begs to differ, she is genuine and real. What’s in her mind, she says it. People say it's not enough to just say good things that wouldn't harm others, but you have to have it in your heart and mind as well to be true, to be real. In a toxic environment being a part of the toxicity or in other words being a plastic is an addition to the problem.


From my experience, the key to survive this harsh world is to be transparent and straightforward, like Phoebe. If you don’t like something, say it, if you like it, say it. Withholding insights, that could’ve been helpful to the situation, can lead to disaster or bad outcomes. It’s like withholding a fart, it’s not good. Being polite is one thing and being true to yourself is another thing. It’s okay to be diaphanous.






  • Strong/Brave


Probably one of the most important in the list. Phoebe is strong no doubt. Despite the circumstances she went through: left by her father when she was a baby, lost her mom, lived on the streets at the early age of 14, and constantly lied and dismissed by her own twin. It's utterly sad, and devastating, but she still is the most energetic and with the most smiles among the 6 friends, always filled with joy and love


This might be too different than that of the hardships that we experience in our lives, but Phoebe serves as an inspiration to us to know that it’ll get better, and that we shouldn’t let the past or our stress get the best of us. Even in dire times there's still a reason to smile. Just hang in there.




  • Loyal



Phoebe is what I can say “the pillar of friends.” She is like the glue that sticks them together and the wall that holds them still. Why? Because all of the guys and the gals had a past together, college friends, childhood friends, roommates, and lovers. Whilst she may be considered as an outsider, Phoebe with no connections and past with them is still loyal. She got everyone’s back, whatever it is, she’s very reliable; proven from hiding Rachel’s pregnancy, lending money for Monica’s catering service, and squeezing Chandler’s love for Monica and a lot more.


Loyalty is a fading characteristic nowadays, but from my experience, showing loyalty to a person, whether a friend or a significant other, to your passion and/or yourself is a very helpful thing to have. In this generation, many people have built walls around them, gaining trust issues. I myself am one, which made me fail to let people in, people that could’ve been a friend to me. And so I realized that one thing that made me build these walls is my own incapability to be loyal to somebody. I won’t be hurt if I don’t go out, but I can’t be healed if I don’t go to the hospital either.


I guess what I’m trying to say is, begin with yourself, show to others that you can be a reliable and trustworthy person and the right people will gravitate towards you, people that will be loyal with your friendship or relationship.






  • Stands for what she believes in



There are a lot of things that Phoebe believes in that might’ve come as absurd to the other friends, her being a vegan, her ability to talk and sense spirits, her disagreement with Charles Darwin’s Evolution Theory, or maybe, her just being a hippie. None of which Phoebe likes to change just to fit her friend’s ideals and standards.


Today, people can be easily influenced by others’ opinions through social media, through the most liked reply and comment or by the number of dislikes. Some would hate something they used to like just because a lot of people don’t like it. Which is why we need to stand for what we believe in again. Like Phoebe, we shouldn’t let our opinions crash down just to satisfy others. However, to learn, we got to know the difference between what is right and what is wrong and listen to both sides rather than dismissing other’s opinions just because it doesn’t coincide with ours.



These are some of my FAVORITE Phoebe characteristics to adapt as a young adult. What’s yours? Lets hear it in the comments below! Thank you for reading!



Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts