Skip to main content

Featured Post

A Farewell to The Owl House

[SPOILER FREE] The last episode of The Owl House was released last April 8, 2023, and this article is dedicated as a means of sending my appreciation to the show, especially, how much it means to me.  The Owl House first aired on January 10, 2020, which was just a couple of months away from the infamous March 2020. At that time, I was in my freshman year in college, adjusting and familiarizing a new environment–a new realm. Like Luz, I also felt like I was out of place since I didn’t really know what to do yet at that time, which is–I know, weird for a then 18-year-old freshman, but it was the truth. I passed college applications and took entrance exams just because that was what needed to be done. The course I took, I chose just because I wanted to get away from numbers as much as I could and because of an old childhood dream. At 18, there wasn’t a golden path that I wanted to take, but every decision I made, I made because I needed to.  The inevitable March came and I hate to admit i

Like what you see?

5 Important Things YOU Should Prepare Before Stepping to College/University

    College is a different turf, no matter how similar they are in terms of studying, College will always be a different realm. And there's an essential approach in College that you need to first figure out before reading this. What kind of approach would you like in College? 

A YOLO kind? where you cherish every moment and just have fun, OR a more serious academic approach to embellish your CV, OR maybe both. 

If you figure it out, let's start.

If you are near the ends of highschool years and is shit scared of the upcoming College years, no need to fret my friend! I gotchu! 

Here are some of the tips before going to College:

  1. Finding the right friend group according to your goals.

For me the most important thing to know when it comes to College is that you should keep in mind that “no man is an island” and I know its hard (for some). you’ll say, but you can’t really choose your friends right? Uh Huh. but you need to, remember that approach I told you about? YOLO, serious, and both.

 If you want to make the most out of College, then you have to carefully choose your circle. Don’t hang around people who are into library hops if you’re the type to hangout on bars, because they will tire you out. And don’t hangout with people that like to drink every Friday night if you like to take that as an academic rest night because you will tire them out. My advice?  go with both, most of the time, College are filled with both. If you're inclined more on just one side of the pendulum, maybe this is the chance to go out, or take it down a notch.




  1. Social skills

This is a big must in College, although its practically obvious even in highschool this is imperative too, but not as imperative as it would be in College. I wrote this because I got a sense that the people that would search for College tips are introverts. And so this might be the sign to widen your social network. Remember, half of the students didn’t know you used to have a big obsession with the illuminati in 8th grade. 


This is important because, let’s face it, most Professor won’t give a damn about you. one of my professors asked us to fold the name part of our test papers just so he wouldn’t sympathize on the students while checking it. So you have to learn socializing, with professors, school authorities, school aids, university dogs, everyone! You don’t know, but theres a probability that the most trivial person you used to talk to once, could help you in your most dire time. 

It’s a jungle out there matey!



  1. Joining organizations/Being out there

Now this is optional, like I said, College is a big thing. like literally. So be out there.

There are countless clubs, organizations that would be willing to take you as a freshman or not. It could be outside or inside the school, but joining one could help you learn and experience things you can never learn inside the classroom premises. You will understand people better too as you would be engaged with countless people of different age groups, which is also why social skill IS essential. Now its important to not just sign your name in every Orgs that takes you, learn what you want to do, to make better, or to make a change of the world. I suggest going with volunteering work, or joining-or even better building your own small non-profitable organization. Aside from being a creator of change, this is a great way for puffing your CV before graduation. 

 

  1. Being organize with everything

This is one of the mistakes I failed to prepare for. I was so stoked about getting into a university that I honestly didn’t think I would be able to get in. I just went with the flow with my binder and a pen. 

Obviously, being organized is also a trait that should be used even in elementary school, but I honestly think that in College you have to take your organizing and time managing skills to the next level. There's a lot of things to organize in College besides schoolworks: Time schedule, and your Life.

You will be bombarded with class works, books to read, if you have a job then that’s added, an outside affair, and have I warned you that sometimes, Professors (at least from where I am) like to reschedule/adjust some of their classes? And so you have to have a neat and organize time table that is very flexible. one important thing is that you should not get into something or accept something if it collides with your schedule because I am telling you, that’s an impending headache. 


Some of the websites that I use in organizing basically…my life is Notion, Google Keep, Google Calendar, and Google Drive.


  1. Learning the importance of taking a break…Seriously this is important.

Might be the most crucial thing in this list. Sometimes it could be very overwhelming. There are just things here and there, notifications popping in your phone and countless of inevitable disappointments and failures to pass by, and its okay, you are okay, best way out is always through. But on the way, please take a break and then continue, here's a kitkat for you. 



Growing up and being an adult is exhausting, you are expected to be of your most behaviour at all times and thus results to slowly losing your fun self. College is a part of the things that could drain you into pulp, and so take it easy, don’t lose yourself in the process, and breathe. College is the next step now, but just like your 6 years in highschool and elementary, these few years would also just gone by in a snap. Word of advice, just breathe in between.


Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts