Skip to main content

Featured Post

A Farewell to The Owl House

[SPOILER FREE] The last episode of The Owl House was released last April 8, 2023, and this article is dedicated as a means of sending my appreciation to the show, especially, how much it means to me.  The Owl House first aired on January 10, 2020, which was just a couple of months away from the infamous March 2020. At that time, I was in my freshman year in college, adjusting and familiarizing a new environment–a new realm. Like Luz, I also felt like I was out of place since I didn’t really know what to do yet at that time, which is–I know, weird for a then 18-year-old freshman, but it was the truth. I passed college applications and took entrance exams just because that was what needed to be done. The course I took, I chose just because I wanted to get away from numbers as much as I could and because of an old childhood dream. At 18, there wasn’t a golden path that I wanted to take, but every decision I made, I made because I needed to.  The inevitable March came and I hate to admit i

Like what you see?

How to expand your vocabulary, THE SMART WAY



I was once a kid (until now) who had a hard time grasping words that I am reading, even though I’ve read it a couple of times before, and teachers would always say “just look it up on the dictionary, honey” which I always did! but in 30 second or so, it’ll just *poof* in my mind, so I find ways to make em’ stick. And now I am sharing some of them with you so you wouldn’t have to stick your nose in a dictionary like all kids do...no? Just me?

I will be dividing them into 3 levels (easy, medium and hard) according to how much time this tip will take and its cost (which is not that much).



LEVELS:  

EASY: Time:10% | Cost: you don’t have to spend a dime.

MEDIUM: Time: 50% | Cost: so-so costly

HARD: Time: 75% (?) | Cost: costly





Level: EASY


PAPER, FOLD! FOLD!

  • One of the easiest one. This works for activities where you have to memorize or absorb a list of words in your subject literature, scientific formulas, or muscle names (for anatomy?)

Materials:

  • Piece of paper

  • Pen

  • Dictionary

Procedure: 

  • First, fold the paper you have into even strips.(mine can do 8 but you can do even smaller columns if you want)

  • label each column “words” and “meanings” alternately.

  • List the words on the first column, then write their meaning on the column after. (you can look at the dictionary for the first column of meaning or not if you want to practice your stock knowledge.)

  • Afterwards, fold the first column for the word back so the column for "meaning" is the only one showing, then answer the 2nd "word" column. 

  • Then repeat the folding and answering. 

Rate of effectiveness: 7/10





QUIZLET

  • This is under easy level because, you're just literally typing it out and it manages everything for you.

  • For those that are not familiar with Quizlet, it's an app or website where you can just put the terms you want to study, then the app will create the practice tests, flashcards, and grading for you. 

  • I use Quizlet not just for vocabulary but also for studying quizzes, so rather than creating flashcards I can just swipe it on my Quizlet. 

  • There are many ways you can study your words on this app, you can use flashcards, write tests where you type the answer, a test which consists of standard assessments like true or false, and even matching types!

  • I use Quizlet 30 minutes before I sleep, because studies say that it's best to review before going to sleep.


Materials:

  • Cellphone or Computer

  • Quizlet app



Procedure:

  • Create a study set

  • Add the terms and its meaning. 

    • Another reason why it is under the easy level is because it literally gives you the meaning already without typing it all out. 





Rate of effectiveness: 9/10


NOTE: you can also use Merriam-Webster's Dictionary application. It has games and is perfect for learning synonymous words but you can’t manipulate it according to what words you want to stick in your brain stem. But it helps nonetheless. 



LEVEL: Medium


Picture Book

    • This is probably the most useless one but as a visual learner this is what helps me the most. 

    • Because it includes pictures!!!

    • Its in the medium level because its time consuming to compile.


Materials: 

  • Cellphone or computer

  • Other options: get a big notebook and a printer.



Here's how I do it.

  • So from the words that I got from the books that I read, be it textbooks or fiction. I list them in MS Word, or google docs (if you want it traditionally then on a paper, but it can be time consuming and too much hassle) then add a small description and some pictures. That's it, I learn better when I can see what it looks like so I add some images with the word then study from time to time.


Rough example:


Rate of effectiveness: 8/10



LEVEL: Hard


Fishbowl Method

    • Time consuming. But really helpful

    • In this method, you have all day as the procedure, but it's really simple actually.

  • So in order to really stick a word in your brain you have to undergo these three levels which is mastering the form or spelling, the meaning and the use or the context, in which this method is gonna go over.



Materials:

  • Any container (the fishbowl is just an embellishment in the title) 

  • Paper

  • Ballpen

  • dictionary


Procedure:

  • List the words on tiny strips of paper

  • Put it in the bowl beside your bed or some place where you can always see it.

  • Every morning, you pick a word from the container, search for its meaning and make it your “word of the day” . By that I mean you will have to use the word for the rest of the day according to its meaning. 


Example: the word is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
                "Goodmorning Jeff! looking supercalifragilisticexpialidocious today!"



Rate of effectiveness: 8/10




Read books lol

    • Reading good ol’ textbooks won't do you any harm. I agree, you do get a word or two from reading books and then going over some words constantly could make you learn that word but that's not really the smart way. Vocabulary books work like magic, well not really, but it gives you that AHA! Moment every time you learn something new. In addition to that, words will surely stick if the books are used properly. how? try the procedure, its fun!

    • One of the books that I recommend and that helped me tons, is Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. Why? Because it teaches you words from its etymology, meaning if you come across words with "dis-" it could mean something negative or bad because dis means negation. 

    • So words like disorder means no order and disappear means it's missing. 

    • I said you would have that AHA! Moment because there are words which have funny origins like the "chauvinist" named after Nicolas Chauvin who is extremely patriotic and thinks his country is the best of all, hence the word chauvinist. 



Procedure: 

  • The book is divided into different lessons and chapters so I give an hour or two for two to three lessons of the book everyday and for me its really effective.


Note: I put this under costly but you can definitely find pdf’s of vocabulary books online, including the book that I recommended.




Rate of effectiveness: 10/10


And that is it folks! how to make 'em words stick in your brain like a leech on a rainy day.


I hope these things help, because it did to me.


Let me know which one you would like to try, write down in the comment section below.



Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts