Skip to main content

Featured Post

A Farewell to The Owl House

[SPOILER FREE] The last episode of The Owl House was released last April 8, 2023, and this article is dedicated as a means of sending my appreciation to the show, especially, how much it means to me.  The Owl House first aired on January 10, 2020, which was just a couple of months away from the infamous March 2020. At that time, I was in my freshman year in college, adjusting and familiarizing a new environment–a new realm. Like Luz, I also felt like I was out of place since I didn’t really know what to do yet at that time, which is–I know, weird for a then 18-year-old freshman, but it was the truth. I passed college applications and took entrance exams just because that was what needed to be done. The course I took, I chose just because I wanted to get away from numbers as much as I could and because of an old childhood dream. At 18, there wasn’t a golden path that I wanted to take, but every decision I made, I made because I needed to.  The inevitable March came and I hate to admit i

Like what you see?

Why is no one talking about being 19?!

Unlike men, there are specific ages where women celebrate, for some reasons unknown. At 7 years old, parents would celebrate their child’s (boy or girl) birthdays on fun fast food chains with mascots and clowns, and when girls reach their sweet 16, their mommies and daddies would spoil them with fun parties with invited friends and relatives. Finally at 18, the debut, extravagant and fancy cotillions complete with big cakes and hosts, a rented resort and videographers to document the much awaited night. But after reaching 18, why does some skip that one year, and focus already on their 20th year of life?

The underrated age of 19, why is it that this age is the least talked about part of a woman’s life?

As a lady hanging at the edge of 19, I’ll tell you why 19th year is like having class on a Sunday, the worst.

Again, why is the 19th year ignored? I have a theory for this, and this theory states that it is because of the fact that its between the most important years of our lives, the 18th and the 20th. At 18, everyone, not just yourself, awaits for you to reach this age. Doors to independence and opportunities open. you can drink, you can apply for the jobs that pays higher than part time jobs, you graduate highschool, and a lot more. And at 20…hmm, there’s not much, but what makes it controversial is because it’s a new number, society sees it as a new milestone as it is another decade of living, and the fact that it doesn’t have a “teen” on it anymore, makes it sound so old, then you’d feel old. There’s nothing that changes anything while you’re 20, but it being it, feels like a lot is about to.

Now that the two had been differentiated, what is up with 19?!

My 19th year is what I can consider as a hemorrhoid, a pain in the ass. First off, I turned 19 in a freakin pandemic, like I previously differentiated, 18 and 20 are some of the busiest ages, and to be in the middle of it while under lockdown is the f to the -ing worst.

Secondly, when I was 17 I made this list that I wanted to do before I turn 20, it's not that far fetched, as the matter of fact, the ones that I think were a little too over board were the ones that were crossed out faster. I’m not proud of a lot of it, but come on, we live in different circumstances.


        Other than the things that are on the list, I planned- no actually I was already getting ready for the Civil Service Exam and at the same time was reviewing for my Driver’s license exam since I already got my student license (which got expired because of Ms. Cora Vagina) and it’s the next step. I like planning things and for it to just go down the drain, sucks.

        
Lastly, whoever invented this online classes (without the invention of hologram classrooms) can just go to sleep and never wake up, there's a lot of things wrong with it that I have no energy to go about. Again I am 19 in college, taking classes under the same roof with my parents, that are “subtly” pushing me to earn money, it's not like I don’t want to, honestly I want to, but I can’t, being a college student in a virtual classroom is not a joke, but it's like a nose hair turning into a moustache, it’s a nuisance, but if I pluck it it’ll hurt like shit. So I can’t, not under this pandemic. 

Enough about me, let's talk about 19 again,

(interlude) how will I, a sexy lady hanging at the edge of 19, describe it?(in bullet form)

  • A chemical reaction like baking soda (year 18) and vinegar (upcoming year 20)

  • Like being on a well built bridge but the hinges at both edges are rusty and breaking.

  • It’s like a place between a rock and a hard place.

In 3-ish months, I'm going to be 20, and throughout my 19th year, there is something that I’ve come to realize. These norms and traditions and ways of thinking that the society molds us is garbage, the society that labels 20, with old, and being well behaved and mature when you reach 18 is something that needs to be extinguished. And these societal ways of thinking is what stresses young adults like me, because we have to fit into this adult mold that that the society made. It’s what makes 19th year feel like the worst and makes us feel trapped. We should understand that every human bean has their own pace and time to know themselves and know what they want to do.

To end this ramble, I would like to share my favorite quote.

“The best way out is always through” a quote by Robert Frost that lives in my heart rent free.

It’s worthless to think that numbers are labelled with anything, living and with that, being 19 makes me see birthdays in a new perspective instead of being scared of becoming 20.  Now I see birthdays as another door that opened and it is up to me whether to see it as full of hardships and sadness, or full of rainbows and chocolates, and although these days the room I entered doesn’t feel like all fun and blue skies, the most important thing is, I know the best way out.



Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts